Tuesday, April 3, 2012

XAT 2012 Quant - Number Properties: LCM

Please watch this blog for periodic updates on new posts of previous year XAT questions with answers and explanation.

You could register you mobile number at http://labs.google.co.in/smschannels/channel/XATQuestions to receive questions by SMS. This service is available to any Indian mobile number that is not registered with National Do Not Call registry and is offered free of cost.

XAT 2012 Question 58  : LCM Word Problem

 Three Vice Presidents (VP) regularly visit the plant on different days. Due to labor unrest, VP (HR) regularly visits the plant after a gap of 2 days. VP (Operations) regularly visits the plant after a gap of 3 days. VP (sales) regularly visits the plant after a gap of 5 days. The VPs do not deviate from their individual schedules. CEO of the company meets the VPs when all the three VPs come to the plant together. CEO is on leave from January 5th to January  28th, 2012. Last time CEO met the VPs on January 3, 2012. When is the next time CEO will meet all the VPs?
A.    February 6, 2012
B.    February 7, 2012
C.    February 8, 2012
D.    February 9, 2012
E.    None of the above

Correct Answer February 8, 2012.

Explanatory Answer

VP (HR) visits the plant every 3rd day (the question states the VP visits after a gap of 2 days). 

The most important point in this question is this point. As the VP visits the plant after a gap of 2 days - he visits the plant every third day - not every second day.


If VP (HR) visited the plant on day 0, he will visit again on day 3, day 6 and so on.
i.e., on days that are multiples of 3.

VP (Operations) visits the plant every 4th day (as he visits after a gap of 3 days).
If VP (Operations) visited the plant on day 0, he will visit again on day 4, day 8 and so on.
i.e., on days that are multiples of 4.

VP (Sales) visits the plant every 6th day (as the VP Sales visits after a gap of 5 days).
If VP (Sales) visited the plant on day 0, he will visit again on day 6, day 12 and so on.
i.e., on days that are multiples of 6.

So, all 3 VPs will visit the plant together again on a day that is a multiple of 3, 4 and 6 or on a day that is a common multiple of 3, 4 and 6.

The first such common multiple is the LCM of 3, 4 and 6 = 12.

The last date on which all three VPs met the CEO was on Jan 3, 2012.
The next dates on which their visits will coincide will be after 12 days and multiples therefore. 
i.e., on Jan 15, 2012, Jan 27, 2012, Feb 8, 2012.

The CEO is on leave from Jan 5, 2012 to Jan 28, 2012. 
So, the CEO will meet the VPs on February 8, 2012.




7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing XAT exam pattern and syllabus and question paper. Do you provide model tests for practice for the same? I found a XAT mock test at http://www.prep.youth4work.com/Management/XAT-Test which was really very good with over 100000 questions. But only 50 questions were for free trial. Can you please provide me a test which is absolutely free? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. GENUINE LOAN OFFER WITH 3% INTEREST RATE APPLY NOW
    Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At : housingfinance247@gmail.com
    Phone number:+919205467093

    ReplyDelete

  4. I AM FINALLY FREE FROM FINANCIAL BONDAGE THANKS TO MOORE LOAN COMPANY (mooreloancompany@yahoo.com).

    Good day everyone,I can’t hide this great testimony that took place in my life I will love everyone to know it and be a partaker of this, that is why I want to share it to the whole world by placing this advert on classifieds, I am Mrs Karen Brown by name, I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee United State, I want to thank ROBBINSON MOORE for his kindness upon my family life, I never knew that there is still a sincere and trustworthy lender like this on the internet and on earth. Just some days I was in search for a loan of $ 100,000.00, As I was running out of money for feeding, School fees, My business was really going out of capital and my rent. I was scammed about $15,000.00 dollars and I decided not to involve my self in such business again. But a Friend of mine introduced me to a loan firm due to my appearance and doings and also my complains to her. And I told her that I am not interested in any loan deal anymore but she told me that there is still a sincere lender who she will recommend me to, And she gave me the details of this man who is called MOORE ROBBINSON. And I really put a trial and I am most greatful and lucky today, I was given a loan amount of $95,000,00 Dollars by this great firm MOORE LOAN COMPANY. If you are in need of a genuine, Sincere, durable and a truth worthy loan lender or financial assistance and also you know you can be reliable and trusted, capable of paying back at the due / duration time of the funds I will advice you to send your contact to them via email @[ mooreloancompany@yahoo.com] OR Test (414) 454-9493 . And you will be free from scams on the internet. Please I am begging everyone on earth to help me thank Mr ROBBINSON MOORE. And I will always being sharing this great surprise and testimony that happened in my life everyday to all that need loans. Contact them now if you are in need of a loan: AS THEY ARE EFFICIENT,DYNAMIC AND RELAIBLE.....Again there contact email [mooreloancompany@yahoo.com OR Text (414) 454-9493.
    .

    ReplyDelete




  5. sales and plant rental


    The practice has undertaken a wide range of projects in the field of Landscape design, Landscape management/maintenance, Koi/fish Pond designs, Bio-Filtrations system, ornamental plants arrangements, sales and plant rental.



    https://chenwa.com.sg/corporate-profile/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Day,

    Are you in need of financial assistance? Have you thought of obtaining a loan? Probably you have been turned down by your local banks in quest of getting a loan. Search no further, we are currently offering long and short term loans to the public at large. We can help you with a loan at a very low interest rate. Contact us now with the following information's below: Email: markthomasfinanceltd@gmail.com
    Whats-App no +919667837169

    Full Name.............
    Sex.....................
    Age......................
    Phone Number......
    Country..................
    Amount Needed .....
    Loan Duration.........
    Monthly Income........
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Best Regards.

    Dr. Mark Thomas

    ReplyDelete